Space Tango is an innovative space technology small business based in Lexington, Ky. Space Tango’s mission is to manufacture health and technology products in space that create value and transformational solutions. Space Tango provides space-based automated facilities and payloads to support research and development and small-scale manufacturing needs of our partners and customers on the International Space Station. As a leader in automated systems, Space Tango pursues pathways to on-orbit production. Our vision is to inspire, innovate and create a better future for humanity by utilizing the environment of space.
The Systems Engineering Intern position is responsible for assisting with the translation of science needs into engineering goals, objectives, and requirements and the development of documentation, schedule, and technical plans for the development, integration, and testing of CubeLab systems to execute the intended goals of specific spaceflight projects and internal continual improvement projects.
- Take ownership of individual task assignments and ensure they are completed according to schedule.
- Produce high-quality and reliable task products.
- Develop and maintain detailed documentation associated with specific tasks.
- Share novel ideas with team members that could improve existing or developing designs.
- Maintain consistent communication with internship mentor.
- Participate in communication within project teams and functional teams.
- Maintain the highest standards of excellence, and never settle for the status quo.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- 1+ year completion toward a degree in engineering or related technical discipline
- Organizational skills
- Familiarity with:
- Technical Diagram Making (draw.io or similar)
- Google Drive
- Gantt Charts
- Report Writing
- Formatting data into visual stories
- Previous Hands-On or Project Experience
- Any in-depth knowledge of one or more engineering disciplines
- Experience with Confluence and Jira
- Experience with Requirements Development
- Experience with technical risk assessment and management
- Manage and track multiple priorities while maintaining a focus on common project goals
- Attention to detail and creative and innovative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for both a technical and non-technical audience
- Motivated for self, team, and company success
- Willingness to learn new skills and techniques from both external and internal sources
- Assist with or manage meetings and meeting notes
- Participate in communication with external partners to gain an understanding of science needs
- Assist with the generation and maintenance of requirements
- Assist with Technical Development, Test, and Integration planning and scheduling
- Generate detailed engineering drawings and flow diagrams
- Generate detailed documentation for builds and test setups
- Gain an understanding of all engineering disciplines at Space Tango to facilitate integration discussions and risk assessments
- Take detailed notes of daily work (notebook to stay at Space Tango for future reference of work)
Space Tango is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Space Tango is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.